Want to get in touch with Josh? Here’s the best way to do it. I promise that I read every message, but I can’t promise to respond to them.
However, before you write, please read the FAQ (below) and see if your question might already have an answer.
- Can you recommend a good book for learning statistics?
- No. I wish I could – it would make everything better – but I don’t know of one.
- Can you recommend a good book about machine learning?
- Yes. A lot of my work is based on An Introduction to Statistical Learning in R. This is a free download. The book itself is not the easiest thing to read, but a lot of my videos focus on the exact same topics. So you can read the book and watch the videos and together you might get a deeper understanding of what’s going on.
- Can I be your student/post-doc/lab assistant?
- No. The nature of my current job doesn’t allow for that sort of thing.
- Can you do a StatQuest on ______?
- Maybe. I get about 2 or 3 requests every week, but can only create, at most, 2 videos a month. This means my “to-do” list is huge and growing at an alarming rate; much faster than it is shrinking. Priority goes to subjects that a lot of people ask for. If you send me a request, know that I will read it and assign priority based on it, but I probably won’t write back.
- Can you send me a StatQuest as a PDF/PowerPoint/Keynote file?
- Not at this time.
- How do I cite StatQuest?
- You can cite StatQuest the same way you would cite any other website or YouTube video. Here is an example:
- StatQuest. “R-squared explained” YouTube, Joshua Starmer, 3 Feb. 2015, https://youtu.be/2AQKmw14mHM.
- Can you answer my question about ______ ?
- When people have questions about something, I generally prefer that they post the question as a comment on a StatQuest Video. That way, when I answer, everyone can benefit from it.
- If you have a question about something not covered in a StatQuest, feel free to send it to me. I may answer, but don’t be offended if I do not.
- I’m writing an article about statistics/machine learning, can I use screen shots from your videos?
- To be honest, I would rather you not use screen shots. Instead, I would rather you post the video.